County of Santa Clara Food Systems Workplan
The Food Systems Workplan Report, approved by the County Board of Supervisors in May 2021, was created to address gaps and improve coordination within the countywide food system. The resulting food system workplan is the product of robust stakeholder engagement and research process conducted by UC Cooperative Extension (UCCE) in partnership with County agencies. With seven goals and thirty-nine recommendations, this report provides a roadmap to guide County actions toward creating a more resilient, equitable, and sustainable food system.
1. Enhance food system coordination and leadership
2. Increase community engagement toward greater food sovereignty
3. Maintain farmland, increase agricultural opportunities, and enhance farm viability
4. Build a strong regional food economy where communities and individuals prosper
5. Improve food security and public health through access to nutritious, culturally relevant, and affordable food
6. Expand food recovery and composting
7. Build a constituency for a strong regional food system by increasing food and agricultural education.